UC Davis Adolescent Consortium Summer Research Workshop 2020 (AHS Sophomores only – Online)

This June, faculty and graduate students in the Human Development and Psychology Departments at UC Davis are sponsoring a 2-week, 6-session Summer Research Workshop for high school sophomores (Class of 2022). We are offering the chance for students who are interested in (but seldom have an opportunity to be involved in) scientific research by exposing them to different research labs on our campus. Our goal is to provide an opportunity for high school students to talk to undergraduate students about their experiences on a college campus, as well as give an opportunity to work directly with faculty and graduate students on a variety of research topics.

The Human Development and Psychology Departments at UC Davis are pursuing research that covers a broad range of topics, including but not limited to:

• Adolescent peer relationships within varying social contexts
  • Behavioral and neural mechanisms that underlie the way adolescents think and feel
  • Factors contributing to children’s social and emotional development
  • The interplay between ethnic diversity in peer groups and adolescent functioning
  • Interpersonal processes in families related to children’s and adolescent’s adjustment
  • Individual and environmental factors contributing to achievement in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) related fields

Students will have the opportunity to participate in the following activities:

• Meet with faculty in the departments of Human Ecology and Psychology
  • Work on small research projects with faculty and graduate students
  • Learn about the college application process
  • Meet with current undergraduate students

We are looking for students who in their science classes display a large amount of curiosity, drive, and creativity. We are particularly interested in 6 students who:

• Will be juniors in High School the next academic school year (2020-21)
  • Come from underrepresented ethnic groups and/or will be first generation college students
  • Have a GPA within 2.5-3.5
  • Are dependable, get work done in a timely manner
  • Have circumstances that have caused missed opportunities in the past
  • Exhibit an inclination towards social justice or an interest in social processes

*DUE to the ongoing issues of COVID-19, this program will be moving to an online format for this year. Our team is planning to host this program through ZOOM*

Students will be asked to meet online for a total of 6 times over a span of 2 weeks, from [10 am – 12:30 pm] for two weeks:

• Week 1: June 23-25
  • Week 2: June 30- July 2

If you are interested, check your email for more information. Then, contact your Science teacher for a recommendation or reach out directly to  Dr. Adrienne Nishina, Department of Human Ecology, [email protected], (530) 752-7003 or Tseng Vang, [email protected].