College Fair Puts the Spotlight on Planning and Preparing

Armijo High School hosted a College Fair on Tuesday, October 22. Parents and children, not only from Armijo but from schools around the county as well, came to the big gym from 6 to 8 pm. This event fair was for all high school students, from freshmen to seniors. Next door, in the small gym, there was a High School Showcase for eighth grade students around the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District to learn about their immediate future.

While there was a workshop in the library at 5:30, the main events of the College Fair started at 6 pm with everyone in the big gym for the college stations. Some of the most popular colleges that were represented included the University of Las Vegas (UNLV) and the University of Los Angeles California (UCLA).

Workshops in the main event included one from FAFSA, which stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. This workshop emphasized that students graduating in 2020 have a March 2 deadline for application.

At 7:15 pm, there was a workshop for National College Student Athletes (NCSA). Freshmen and older students with at least a 2.3 grade point average (GPA) can be recruited and viewed by colleges and considered for sports scholarships through this organization. Registration with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is mandatory, as is a completion of at least 16 high school courses.