Birthday celebration benefits children and teens

Read Across America is an annual celebration of Dr. Seuss’s birthday, March 2. On this day, Americans celebrate the importance of reading and, every year, Armijo’s National Honor Society (NHS) goes to Anna Kyle and other local elementary schools to read to children.

This year, about 15 members volunteered to spend time at the campus with these students. Some of the high school students were reading aloud to the younger children while some were dressed up as The Cat in the Hat, Thing 1 and Thing 2, and the Grinch, all characters from Dr. Seuss’s famous stories.

Last year, the children loved it when they saw the high school students dressed as these characters. During recess, they approached them and gave them welcoming hugs. Adding The Grinch to this year’s costumes created an additional dimension of fun and familiarity.

The Armijo students read to the students from kindergarten through second grade and the children were very responsive. Before the event, the club members designed bookmarks for the children with a Dr. Seuss theme. They were designed colorless so that the elementary students could color them in. This was a great opportunity to interest the younger students with reading, but the high schoolers seemed to have just as much fun.