Looking for Volunteer Opportunities?

Laura Wadsworth, Staff writer

The Youth Commission met on February 5. The Advocacy Committee started off the meeting with an update on the Youth Needs Assessment Survey. In past years, students were asked to fill-out the survey by-hand. This year, youth will be asked to complete the questionnaire on-line. The purpose of the survey is to determine how the Youth Commission can better serve students in the community. There will be a total of ten questions, and a space at the end to add additional comments.

Next, the Events Committee reported on two upcoming activities. The Youth Commission will be hosting a movie night on February 9, at the Fairfield Community Center. The doors open at 5:30 PM, and the movie, “Beauty and the Beast,” will start at 6 PM. Youth Commissioners will be there to hand out food and prizes. Commissioner Cortes also provided an update on the 5th Annual Solano Children, Youth, Families Policy Forum, which will take place March 10, 9 am – 1 pm at the KROC Center. Elected officials will hold panel discussions and there will be opportunities for the audience to share ideas on how to improve locally sponsored family programs.

Lastly, the Service Committee presented opportunities for youth to volunteer in the community. Currently, the Solano County Food Bank is looking for youth 9 years and older, that are available to sort food on Saturdays. The warehouse is located 2339 Courage Drive. Mission Solano is also looking for volunteers, and the coordinator, Donna Quiintero, can be reached at 707-685-3017. Also, the Habitat for Humanity Restore, is looking for youth to volunteer in the warehouse on Tuesdays-Saturday. Mike Glancy can be reached at 707-863-0692 to provide details on the volunteer opportunities. Finally, the Suisun Wildlife Center needs students aged 16 years and older. Volunteers can help with the rescue and release of wildlife, or help provide education services and classes. The Wildlife Center is open daily, and is located at 1171 Kellogg Street in Suisun City.