Fairfield-Rodriguez FFA members compete in public speaking contest

Congratulations to all the FSUSD students who participated in the Solano-Alameda Section Speaking Contest!

Fairfield, CA – On Wednesday, January 25, 2023, students from the Fairfield-Rodriguez Future Farmers of America (FFA) Chapter hosted and competed in the Solano-Alameda Section Speaking Contest.

FSUSD students performed exceptionally, both as hosts to their fellow students and as participants in the speaking contest. The contest included six categories: Creed, Spanish Creed, Impromptu, Prepared, Extemporaneous, and Job Interview.

Freshman Jazelle Camacho placed fifth in the Creed contest where students memorize and recite the five-paragraph FFA Creed, as well as answer questions from a panel of judges. Junior Laina Giaramita was awarded first place in the Prepared Public Speaking category. This category requires the participant to write a 6-8 minute speech and then answer questions about their topic. Hannah Rodens, a senior, placed sixth in the Job Interview contest.

Agriculture Teacher and FFA Advisor, Bridgette Eldridge said, “We are incredibly proud of all of our students. These students took on a great challenge, helping us host our first sectional speaking contest. They worked with judges, kept accurate time, and helped the contests run smoothly. We are also so proud of all the students’ work competing in the Solano-Alameda Section Contest, and we are excited for Laina Giaramita to move on to the North Coast Region Prepared Public Speaking Contest in March.”

This is the first year Fairfield-Rodriguez FFA hosted this contest. The event was made possible by student and community volunteers. FSUSD is grateful to the following community leaders for donating their time to judge the Solano-Alameda Section Speaking Contest:  Rosalynd Atherton, Sean Eldridge, David Gassaway, Ed King, Aimee Korynta, Lloyd McCabe, Sheila McCabe, Catherine Moy, Traci Pratt, Taylor Prestousa, Lisa Rodens, Lisa Shipley, Tamara Ward, Holly Whitworth, and Priscilla Yeaney.