ASB officer soars to new heights

Student Activities Officer Mariyam Oladele

Emily Torres Maravilla

After four years of high school, Mariyam continues to impress.

Mariyam Oladele has served the Armijo Student Body (ASB) in a number of ways, and she’s leaving the school in June with a legacy worth recognizing, including the title of Armijo’s Student of the Year.

She’s been part of leadership for years, being part of committees for Special Education basketball and Special Education Relations. For as long as she can remember, Special Education has had a special place in her heart. She wants to continue to spread the love and compassion she’s seen in retired teacher Ms. Lynn Lee, and it’s something she thinks she can achieve next year as either a senior class officer or an ASB officer.

She has also worked on backdrops for Football Homecoming skits for her class. Last year, she served as an officer for the Junior Class and this year, as ASB Student Activities Officer, she’s been instrumental in organizing events for Breast Cancer Awareness Week and the 3v3 Basketball tournament earlier in the year.

Somehow, despite her detailed contributions to the smooth running of the Leadership activities over the years, Oladele has also found time to be active in sports. She was on the Junior Varsity Girls’ Basketball team as a freshman and has been playing on the badminton team this year.

Oladele is also an IB student and recently earned the honor of being named the Violet Richardson Award Runners-Up with the Soroptimist International of Central Solano County, earning her a feature article in the Daily Republic’s Sunday insert, “Women of Influence.”

With this kind of investment in her four years of high school, it is no doubt that the future is wide open for Oladele.