Teacher Feature

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teacher Feature

Joel Bejarana Alanis

Joel Bejarana Alanis

Joel Bejarana Alanis

Ms. Kaitlin DeSantis has been teaching at Armijo for four years, but one could say that it is all history. That is to say, she has taught International Baccalaureate (IB) History of the Americas: World Civilizations for ninth grade. She has also taught sophomore World Civilizations.

For Ms. DeSantis, her career has always been about teaching, in one way or another. I “started off substitute teaching,” she said. “In college, I worked at summer camps.” She became a teacher “because I love high school-aged people and I love history – this job has both! I enjoyed subbing, so a teacher was a natural transition. Now I have the best job ever!”

Because she loves the job, Ms. DeSantis would encourage others to consider a career in teaching. “If you’re a people person and like a certain subject – do it!” She stressed that it was important to be enthusiastic, hardworking and patient, but those who are qualified should look into it as a career.

Not everything is positive, though. If Ms. DeSantis could choose something about the Armijo environment, it would be twofold. She would like to see fewer students wandering around campus during the school day and, naturally, see fewer tardies.

Ms. DeSantis graduated from Vista High School in San Diego and moved on to UC Davis. She was inspired by her sophomore and senior English teacher, her Spanish teacher, her anatomy teacher and her U.S. history teacher. “I loved all their classes and it made me enjoy teaching.” She said that she has had various mentors who have taught her not only teaching policies and procedures but how to care for, encourage and support people.

When she is not focused on doing those things in the classroom, Ms. DeSantis likes to spend her time swimming, reading, eating, going to movies and hanging out with her husband, family and friends. She also enjoys traveling over the summer.