Where There’s a Will, There’s a Way

Leila Harper, Beyond the Gates Editor

Miss Sarah Kimple is an English teacher at Armijo. She teaches English 9, 10, and 10 Honors. She has been a full-time teacher for two years. Before teaching at Armijo, she was a substitute teacher for the Santa Rosa School District, beginning by subbing for seventh graders at Comstock Middle School.

“I have wanted to teach since I was in high school,” said Kimple, “I used to coach a Color Guard program and that was when I fell in love with teaching middle school and high schoolers. So, I have wanted to do that for a very long time. I wanted to teach English because I didn’t enjoy a lot of my English classes and I thought that there were better ways to go about giving that information to students.”

Kimple grew up in Healdsburg with her family—which included seven sisters—until they moved to Reno, Nevada, when Kimple was in eighth grade. She lived there until she had completed two years at Truckee Meadows Community College. Then she returned to Healdsburg for a year at Junior College, and three more at Sonoma State. She thoroughly enjoyed her three different colleges over six years. Her favorite subjects were English, Feminist Literature, and Creative Writing.

Her interests haven’t changed too much over the years. Her favorite subject to teach is creative writing, quite obviously, because she loves to write. In addition to writing, Kimple loves to read. “I like so many booksI like mysteries and I like historical fiction a lot. I like a lot of YA Literature. I love John Green, but I also love Jane Austen, Octavia Butler, and Toni Morrison.”

If Kimple hadn’t pursued a career as a teacher, she said that she would have chosen to be in the field of law. She has an interest in criminal law. “I think that just the justice system [is] fascinating and how corrupt the system is. I think it would be interesting to just be involved with learning more about how to resolve those issues,” she said. She’s currently satisfied with the career path she’s been trekking most of her life.

Kimple lives with her adorable American Eskimo dog, Kevin, continuing a pursuit of educating the future generations. After years of hard work, after six years of college, after graduating with her Bachelor’s degree, Sarah Kimple is following her dream.

About the Writer
Leila Harper, Staff writer

The odd one out in her family, Leila Harper has always been a reader. Born and raised in California, she has always been an obedient and quiet adolescent....