Sem Yeto created a passion for Journalism

Events Editor Julissa Madrigal

She discovered Journalism at Sem Yeto, but brought her passion to Armijo.

ID photo

My name is Julissa Madrigal; I am a senior at Armijo High School.

Before transferring into Armijo, I was in a credit recovery school called Sem Yeto. My time there was amazing. It was a small school and you were bound to be friends with every student and teacher.

When I was there I was assigned to be in journalism. I didn’t like it at first, but it slowly grew on me. Next thing I knew, I was choosing to be in that class voluntarily. In other words, I didn’t choose journalism, it chose me. Journalism is very fun when your passion is to write stories and explain in detail about events.

What brought me to enjoy journalism was always a question to me. Why? But the answer is simple: I am a writer with passion, imagination, and creativity. I know that doesn’t sound like an average student in journalism, but trust me, it’s something worth doing.

Journalism is a way to grow, learn, and just overall an experience not everyone can go through. I’ve interviewed, reviewed movies, and done other things like that, and I had fun doing so. I loved writing reviews on CDs or movies because you are writing with passion on every detail. That’s why I love journalism.

Thank goodness journalism found its way to me because now I have learned beyond what I knew in Sem Yeto. It’s like creative writing, but shown to the public. I recommend that every student experience being in journalism.