Electing to continue journalism after high school

I encourage everyone to continue to make amazing memories with the people you love.

Kayden Tatham

Four years ago I had started my interest in writing, but over the years my love for journalism has grown more and more. My job as a writer/editor consists of interviewing people, doing research, publishing stories, coming up with good headlines, and turning stories in on time. It has always been a huge problem for me to turn them in before the deadline. I always tell myself that I have a lot of time to work on one story and I put it off until the last day that it’s supposed to be due. I’m always so shocked at how much my stories get marked down just because I turned them in one or a few days later. Although I still haven’t learned my lesson yet, it will be less of a habit eventually.

After high school, I wish to continue pursuing journalism and work on my writing skills. I plan to attend Solano Community College for the first two years and transfer to a UC. I’m not sure which university I plan to attend, but I’m hoping they have a good journalism program/class. I don’t know any other people who’d want to be a journalist or is one in my life. I’m hoping to be a role model for somebody who wants to go through that route.

As I approached my senior year of high school, I had always been in the mood to try and do something new. During the fall play, I worked as a light operator. It was a very stressful job, but at the same very satisfying and fun. I was also the Spanish Dancer ancestor during the Addams Family Musical. I met so many new people that I wish I had known sooner and it’s these types of experiences that have made this year very memorable.

During my free time, I enjoy spending time with my friends, family, and boyfriend. I also like to read and watch anime such as Ouran High School Host Club. My music taste consists of listening to mostly Mitski.