Club Focus: National Honor Society

National Honor Society (NHS) is for high school students across the nation. The clubs, also referred to as “chapters,” are dedicated to recognizing and encouraging outstanding high school students in grades 10-12. Freshmen are not allowed to join NHS due to the requirements needed to be a member. Those requirements include paying dues on time, turning in an application, and having a non-weighed grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0. Over one semester, members have to complete 10 hours of community service.

Armijo’s National Honor Society meets regularly on Thursdays at lunch. During meetings, the officers hold presentations about the meeting topic and upcoming community service events. Attending NHS meetings is a great way for finding volunteer opportunities.

This year’s officers are President Liana Wong, Vice-President Victoria Lawson, Treasurer Stephen McDaniel, and Secretary Ximena Rodriguez.

“We are a student-led club that solely focuses on service, particularly that of providing educational opportunities to others,” said President Wong. For example, Read Across America, where we read Dr. Seuss stories to kids.” The club focuses on bettering a member by bettering the community. Although this club may not be the easiest, it definitely looks good on applications because it is a nationwide organization.