Freshman President shares her goals

Kayla Aguarin

Kaitlyn is all smiles and spirit when it comes to serving the Freshman Class.

Kaitlyn Edejer, who was recently elected as President of the Class of 2023, chose to get involved in student government “because I believe it is a great experience to have and it teaches you a variety of life skills, such as leadership, responsibility, and time management,” she said. She’s been learning these skills through student government since she was in the sixth grade.

“I believe an important part of campaigning is getting to know the people you will be working with and what their interests are,” Edejer said. “My role involves planning meetings, doing fundraisers, putting on a skit, keeping everyone informed, and helping my classmates with anything they need. I was interested in this position, because I have a lot of experience in school government, I bring a lot of energy to the table, and I love working with and meeting new people!

While she is only a freshman, she can already see herself continuing school government in college, “because it is a great way to meet new people and get involved in the school,” she said.

Edejer is very active, both in school and in the community. She said, “Outside of school I do theater at Missouri Street Theater in downtown Fairfield, I am a working child actress with Cast Images Agency, and lately I have been working on our freshmen skits after school. Some of my hobbies include dancing, working with children, watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S, and visiting San Francisco.”

Edejer identified her sister Kennedie as her role model. “She is everything I want to be when I grow up,” Edejer said. “She unintentionally taught me so many life lessons and I am blessed to have her in my life.” She also admires the other student body officers. “I have only known them for like a month, but they have already taught me so much and they are a perfect example of what I hope to become in life.”

“If there was one thing I could change about Armijo High School, it would be our lack of unity. In a school, people need to be in an environment where everyone can agree, feel welcomed and accepted. The aspect of unity isn’t quite mastered at Armijo yet, but I hope that one day our student body can really come together and learn how to be above things,” said Edejer.

She has four years to help build that sense of unity before going on to college. She is hoping to live in San Francisco after she graduates and study Computer Technology, with a minor in acting. “I want to pursue both of these careers, but majoring in computer technology is a more stable career and this is why I would minor in acting,” she said.