Elections- Senior Class Vice President

Janelle Basa can proudly say that she’s been involved in Leadership since she started attending Armijo. “I started freshman year,” she said. “My friend a grade above me told me to join…”

Now, as a senior, she is finishing up her commitment as the vice president of the Class of 2019.  “I plan and lead class discussions as well as lead the events,” Basa said. While many students join Leadership with the intention of focusing on the present, her choice had a long-term influence. “II was interested in it to help me in business in the future,” she said. She would consider continuing in student government, if it fits in her schedule in college, and she would encourage others to talk to other officers before signing up. “Ask past officers what they have done and listen to what the people want.”

Basa plans to major in Business Administration with a focus in management. Because she plans to be a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of a business someday, she recognizes the importance of having diverse skills. “I did badminton in 9th and 10th, track in 11th,” she said. “I’ve been part of my church youth group all four years of high school and plan those events, too.”

While she’s been able to make her mark in many areas, there are still some things that she sees around campus that could stand some improvement. “I wish I could change the culture of how people viewed the school, and not see it as trash or ‘unfun’. I want people to take pride in going here,” she said. “High school is only as fun as you make it. It also goes by so much faster when you’re involved and won’t be as miserable.”