College Focus: A Small College with Lots to Offer

CampusGrotto

Small town charm close to everything that makes city living worthwhile, Pitzer is a very selective campus.

For students who want a challenging liberal arts and sciences college that is far enough away to live on campus but close enough to save on out-of-state fees, Pitzer College might be the answer.

The campus is only 2/5 the size of Armijo and is “part of The Claremont Colleges – a unique consortium of five undergraduate colleges and two graduate institutions,” according to its website https://www.pitzer.edu/.

Small does not mean it is lacking. The Claremont Colleges are all connected and share programs and facilities. What it does mean is that the students who attend get a small college experience with large university benefits.

Majors are created and designed by the students, so that they can fit career paths and goals. Students work within the community, both inside the campus and outside in the real world, to develop the perfect fit. While growing into adulthood, students make adult decisions that affect their future and the future of their classmates.

“Students from different socioeconomic, ethnic and geographic backgrounds come to Pitzer from across the globe. In addition to learning from one another, students are encouraged to participate in one of the 46 international exchanges available through Pitzer’s study abroad programs, helping them learn a foreign language and deepening their appreciation of global diversity,” says the website. Many students take advantage of their incredible study-abroad programs at least once in the educational experience.

The school is located about one hour from downtown Los Angeles, with the Pacific ocean and skiiing not to far away. It is not an easy school to get into, which adds to its quality and exclusivity. According to US News and World Report, only 13.5% of the students who applied passed the rigourous standards required by this highly sought after campus, but it does not require SAT or ACT scores. Tuition and fees can be over $50,000 per year, but some financial aid is available for those who qualify.

Are you Pitzer material?