Terrell Wrice – Class of 2019

Activity History

JSA………………………………………………………..10th Grade, 11th Grade
Track and Field…………………………………………….9th Grade
Barbell Club……………………………………………….10th Grade, 11th Grade
Youth Church Group………………………………………9th Grade, 10th Grade, 11th Grade
Child Tutor…………………………………………………10th Grade, 11th Grade

COMMUNITY SERVICE

American Red Cross……………………………………….9th Grade, 10th Grade, 11th Grade
Beach Clean-Ups…………………………………………..10th Grade, 11th Grade
Soup Kitchens………………………………………………10th Grade, 11th Grade
Toys for Tots………………………………………………..9th Grade, 10th Grade, 11th Grade

Other important characteristics about me:

I have a very creative imagination and come up with new ideas, but when it comes to planning things I am very analytical and realistic as to what can be accomplished. When I am in charge, I like to make sure everyone is on the same page with what we are doing and that everyone is respecting each other, since respect is my number one priority when working in a group. I think I am very compassionate and empathetic when it comes to dealing with people because it’s very easy for me to relate to people. Also, I like to think I bring out the best in people.

How do you plan to stay connected to students to make sure their voices are heard?

Before even starting to consider elections, I’ve always seen that there is a disconnect between leadership kids and kids who are not a part of the program. If most of my friends weren’t in the program and always talking about the events that were happening, I wouldn’t know anything. I know that emails are sent out about events, however I don’t feel as if this is the most effective way to reach students and make sure that they are involved and heard. After talking to an extensive number of my peers in my class, I’ve come to the consensus that the best form of communication would be text reminders. This would be through the Remind that we already have established, but I feel like in order to make sure everyone knows about it, we should do a sign-up booth at the first senior event so that we can announce it and get all the seniors who want to be in the know the information that they need. Also in order to get more people involved, we should advertise our class meetings as something that is open to EVERYONE, because the way it is set up now, it only seems as if students who are in zero period are allowed to participate in class meetings. This isn’t good because this is where we’ll be making decisions as to what happens during our senior year. This is a process I feel everyone should be involved in. Also, I feel like Twitter polls and Google Forms sent through the Remind would help with a lot of the students being heard if they are unable to make the meetings.

What in, your opinion, are the three most important issues facing students at Armijo High School and how will you address them?

In the time that I’ve been here, the main thing I have seen is the lack of respect or cohesiveness with each other, not only as a class, but as a school. In our class, there is some drama that can get out of hand. To combat this, I want to advertise this year as “the time of our lives, if we can work together”. Because it is our senior year, I realize that we all have friends and that causes it to feel a little cliquey. However, I want everyone to be able to at least respect in terms of school in order to maximize the short time that we have left at this school. Another problem I think students face is feeling motivated at school and in class. Because we are at school for so long and we have so many responsibilities, that we can feel overwhelmed to the point where we want to give up. I want to influence students to keep pushing and trying so their futures can be as bright as they make it. One way I think is a good way to do it is to partner with the College and Career Center to have more college and other brochures be more accessible around campus so kids who don’t really go to the library know that there are more options for them. Another problem students face is feeling safe at school. There are a lot of reasons why someone may not feel safe, but if it’s in our power to change it we should. To address this, I feel like maybe we could have a town hall style panel where people can voice why they feel unsafe and if there is anything that we can do to make the situation at our school any better.

What are your top priorities for the position you will hold?

One of my top priorities should I have a position in class office is that I want to change the narrative of the Class of 2019 or change the way we are seen at our school. Talking to my peers around school, a lot of them see the Class of 2019 becoming seniors and being in charge as the end of an era of great senior classes. Me being as headstrong as I am, my priority is to prove them wrong and show that our class is just as capable of doing the things that the classes before us. I want the Class of 2019’s legacy to not be seen as the end of an era, but the beginning of a new one that will leave a lasting impact on the school. Another one of priorities is to make sure that the class is working together to maximize fun. I am going to try my hardest to get everyone to at least respect each other on a professional level so that we can work together and make the year one to remember.