2017-2018 ASB Secretary: Kiana Sabugo

Name: Kiana Marie Sabugo
Grade Level: 11th (going into 12th)
Email Address: [email protected] (school) or [email protected] (personal)
Years in Leadership: 3 years and counting 🙂

Class Office/Committee Head Roles held in Leadership:
Sophomore Class Officer (Secretary) // 10th grade
Football Homecoming Night Committee Head (Advertisement) // 10th grade
Banquet Committee Head (Superlatives) // 10th grade
Basketball Homecoming Night Committee Head (Decorations) // 11th grade
Teacher Appreciation Committee Head (Luncheon) // 11th grade

Outside Leadership Activities:
Competitive figure skater on behalf of the Vaca Valley Figure Skating Club // 8+ years
Member of California Edge Synchronized Skating Team // 3+ years
Assistant Coach in Vacaville Ice Sports Skating Academy // 3+ years
Member of College and Career Club // 1 year
Member of Society for the Cinematic Arts // 1 year
Commissioner of Fairfield Youth Commission // 1 year

Community Services:
Assistant Coach at Vacaville Ice Sports
Participant in annual Haunted Hike
Worker at local crab feeds
Volunteer at elementary school carnivals
Contributor of Angel Tree Gifts
Cleaner at Comcast Cares Day

Other important characteristics about me:

Hi. My name is Kiana Sabugo and I am campaigning to have the privilege of serving Armijo as an ASB Officer for the 2017-2018 school year. I wants to be a part of a program (Leadership) that can take pride in the events they put on, in the hopes that they are not just for themselves, but for others. I am passionate about creating an atmosphere where people feel welcome and have many opportunities to experience the most of their four years at high school. I am dedicated in putting these plans into motion and hope you will consider voting me as one of your next ASB Officers!

How do you plan to stay connected to students to make sure their voices are heard?

One idea I’ve developed for a new concept in Leadership is targeted to reach outside our usual pool of students and provide more memorable moments for more people at Armijo. The name of the project is “The Wish Granting Factory” where students amongst our high school can fill out a google survey as posted on ASB twitter and on our school website, to ask for a “wish” to be granted. The wishes can vary from a personal theme for an A-Team game, a lunch out, or an opportunity to be queen for a day, given how easily they can be executed and to what degree they can impact the wisher. This process would continue throughout the school year to reach as many students as possible and continue to listen to requests from students with extra attention to our special education department.

What in your opinion are the most important issues facing students at Armijo High School and how will you address them?

I think the most pressing issues for students at Armijo High include the price of participating, both through money and comfort zones. When ASB asks for $75 for an ASB card, it’s a great deal for the whole package, but some students really just aren’t that interested in investing so much money, despite its value in the long run. We should accommodate these students by offering other ways to get into games and offering cheaper dances. During the first several games of the school year, we can offer coupons such as “$2 off next game” which will encourage students to attend games and assist financially. Another way to increase attendance and quality of student experience at games is to hold inexpensive, low maintenance, after game dances. $3 with an ASB card, $5 without, the games would last from 9pm – 11pm, allowing a more positive experience for students going to games and costing way less than a traditional formal dance.

What are your top priorities for the position you hold?

My biggest priorities as an ASB Officer would be making Leadership’s events more productive for the greater good. I think our ASB twitter has done an amazing job of listening to the requests of students and I really want to expand and continue this process through the ideas mentioned above.