Silva has a lot of responsibilities

Sophomore Class Vice President Leslie Silva

Being a Class Vice President doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy yourself!

Leslie Silva chose to go into student government because she felt that she could have a positive impact on the school. “It’s important to me that every student feels represented and understood at school, and I felt that through being in student government, I would be able to not only represent students but also make the campus a better place.

Silva serves as the Vice President of the Class of 2024, but she started student government last year as a freshman. “During freshman year I held a class officer position through distance learning and I am so very grateful that I am able to hold another class officer position this year,” she said. 

With the three other officers, she helps run class meetings and plan events for our class. Silva does her best to make the school a better place where students feel heard. “As a class officer, I also do my best to ensure that I’m reaching out to as many students as possible on a daily basis to ensure they not only feel welcome at school, but also to ensure that they are doing well.” 

This is a natural fit for Silva, who hopes to continue being involved in student government when she moves onto college in a few years. “I love making positive impacts on campus and making school the best it can be for all students,” she said. Part of that would be trying to improve the cleanliness and beauty of the campus.

“If somebody were asking me for advice on whether or not they should get involved with student government, I would recommend it 100%,” Silva said. “Student government has given me so many opportunities to grow as a person and make the school better in whatever ways I can! However, I would definitely advise anybody interested in becoming involved with student government that being in student government takes effort and work that you must be willing to put in. However, I would totally recommend becoming involved with student government!” 

But serving as a class officer is only part of her experience this year. “Outside of student government, I am actively involved in clubs and sports inside and outside of school,” she said. “I play club soccer, which is also known as competitive soccer. I’ve played soccer for 11 years now. It’s a huge passion and hobby of mine which I have been able to learn so much from. I also play Varsity soccer for Armijo. Through playing soccer, I’ve learned important leadership, team, and collaborative skills.”

She’s also a member of Skate for Change and the National Honor Society (NHS), both clubs that focus on helping and bettering the community. She’s developed that desire over time and with the influence of her brother Matthew, who is currently studying Biomedical Engineering in college. “My brother and I have a very close and good relationship. He’s definitely one of my best friends and one of the most important people to me in my life,” said Silva. “My family is very important to me and all of them are huge role models to me. My mom and dad work very hard each and every day to give me and my brother the best. Seeing their hard work inspires me and makes me want to work hard every day, just like they do!”

After graduation, Silva plans to attend college and major in medicine. “I would love to pursue a job as a pediatrician in the future. Whether or not I end up pursuing a career as a pediatrician, I want to pursue a career where I am able to help people and the world the best that I can!”