Being an officer runs in the family

ASB Focus: Treasurer Alliyah Abique

Alliyah is a leader in the school and beyond.

“I joined the Leadership program my freshman year,” said Associated Student Body (ASB) Treasurer Alliyah Abique. “My cousin was previously the ASB President and influenced my decision to join. Over the years, I’ve received a few committee head positions for events, like Football A-Team my sophomore year and Staff Appreciation my junior year. Because of my experience, I decided to run for a position on the ASB panel my senior year. Every candidate had to make an advertisement video and I chose to make a music video that included my ideas and facts about me. We also had to make a speech in front of the Leadership class through a Google Meet and go through a Q & A session.”

That campaign led to her being elected to help lead the school in decision making. “Every day, the ASB officers, along with Mr. Towner lead the Leadership class by making announcements and planning events for the school demographic. We usually split into our own committees where we each have a group of students that help us brainstorm ideas for our events and help us put them on.”

This is an area that she excels in and would encourage others to consider. “I would say to not be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. It can be really scary at first but in the end, you end up finding things about yourself and gaining new skills,” she said. “Student government can allow oneself to create new relationships with those in every grade level.”

While she is enjoying contributing to the happenings at Armijo, Abique does not plan to continue student government in college. She plans to go to a four-year university in California, earning a Bachelor of Science in Nursing so that she can become a registered nurse, but that is several years in the future.

Being on the ASB is only part of what she is involved with in high school. She is also part of the Badminton team and President of French Club. In her spare time, she enjoys hanging out with friends and family, and going on spontaneous adventures such as randomly going out to get Boba. “I also really enjoy my individual time and watch shows and movies,” she said.

Abique has an older brother, Jayson, and a cousin, Sharleen, who is like a sister. “Both of them are 22 years old and they are like role models to me as they are incredibly positive and diligent. My parents are also my role models because they inspire me to work hard and strive for the best,” she said.