Kaylie Reyes – Class of 2024

About Me:

I am Kaylie Reyes and I am a sophomore. After just being in this program for two years, I have already been taught how to be social, how to keep a positive attitude, and how to have an open mind to any new ideas or plans that have come my way. I’ve learned to love, not only this program, but the amazing people and memories in it which have allowed me to grow into the better person I am today. I’ve shown up to almost every single school event that has been put on this year so far, and I always have tons of energy & enthusiasm during A-team games. 

Skills & Characteristics:

This year, I was given the opportunity to be captain of the Girls’ Varsity Volleyball team here at Armijo. This means that I take on the responsibility of being looked up to and being seen as a leader. I deal with lots of different situations on a day to day basis that often include having effective communication, strategic thinking, confidence, enthusiasm, and much more due to being captain. I’ve been a captain numerous times for my club volleyball teams as well, which gives me plenty of experience in this type of position. I believe that team leaders are absolutely necessary for setting the standard of what is expected. I also believe that I’m very reliable and can take any accountability towards all of my actions. But one of the most important leadership qualities is the passion to provide service and support to not only my fellow classmates, but also to the teachers, staff members, and school in general! Prioritizing self development as well as the development of others sets everyone up for success.

Priority/Plans/Ideas: The Growth of Anyone & Everyone

By staying connected to students and making sure that their voices are heard, I hope to create a more positive environment and balance it to a culture that allows the school to thrive in harmony. This is very important because I think students (whether they’re in leadership or not), deserve to have a voice and should be supported. Hearing various ideas and different input from outside perspectives will help us to create things never done before!

Issues & What we can do to fix/address them:

I can sense that there’s a lack of motivation and energy in the school due to the recent pandemic. However, to lift the morale up, I think it’s best to host more lunchtime activities and play appropriate music throughout the day (preferably also during lunch). For example, we can set up a table and advertise upcoming events. This is an efficient way to help promote events and an effective way of getting more participation and involvement from students outside of the leadership program!