Meet the newest Editor-in-Chief

Melissa has developed a deep understanding of what’s important in life and in the news.

Time for school already? Well, I hope the online welcome back hasn’t been too rough so far. It’s me again, Melissa Theodorus, but now as a junior and starting the International Baccalaureate Program. This is my third year writing for The Signal, and I’m incredibly grateful to have been editing as the School News Editor last year, even more so to be editing as your Editor-in-Chief for this 2020-2021 school year.

As a freshman, I was anxious about starting high school. While doing a Google search, I came upon The Armijo Signal and learned more about Armijo and its students. I was fascinated by all the student-written stories that got me looking forward to my freshman year. I kept thinking about how this would be the perfect opportunity to explore and try out something new in high school.

In my sophomore year, I became interested in the position of School News Editor because I enjoyed picking up stories about events around Armijo. During my freshman year at Armijo, I had noticed that a lot of students didn’t know much about the school’s events. As the School News Editor, my goal was to make students more aware of the school’s events and any other important information about them.

From there, I’ve grown to love writing, more specifically, sharing and reporting information to my fellow students. Armijo has an immensely diverse culture, bringing a spectrum of different experiences and backgrounds that demands to be realized and shared.

Especially with all that’s been going on, continuous online updates are crucial to our new way of life. When the pandemic hit hard, every bit of news – from politicians to health officials – was pivotal in keeping the lives of people safe. As you experienced last year’s abrupt school closure and the start of this year with distance learning, you’ve had to find out about them from somewhere online. I am driven to help you receive all Armijo related news right here.