Taking advantage of technology has many benefits

Pixabay

Phones can be a very useful tool in the classroom and not always a distraction

In recent years, there has been a debate about whether students should be allowed to use their phones in the classroom. Some argue that phones are a distraction and should be banned, while others believe that they can be a useful learning tool. I strongly believe that phones should be allowed in class.

First, I believe smartphones provide a lot of information and resources that can enhance the learning experience of students. Students can use their phones to access educational apps, online textbooks, and research materials. With the ability to search for information quickly, students can go into depth on understanding the topic at hand and engage more fully in class discussions. I have observed that many students use their phones to take notes, record lectures, and stay organized. They set reminders on their phones for due dates of assignments and take pictures of the board for the instructions on it.

Secondly, I believe allowing phones in the classroom prepares students for the real world. In most workplaces, employees are expected to use their phones for a variety of tasks, from scheduling meetings, to communicating with colleagues. By using their phones responsibly in the classroom, students can develop the skills they need to succeed in their future jobs, occupations, careers, etc.

The banning of phones in the classroom may have unintentional consequences. Students who are not allowed to use their phones may become anxious or distracted, believing that they are missing out on important messages from family or friends. This could negatively impact their ability to focus on the material because they are worried that they are missing out on something important from their loved ones.

I acknowledge that there are downsides to allowing phones in the classroom. Students may be tempted to use their phones for non-educational purposes, such as texting friends or scrolling through social media. However, these risks can be minimized by setting up clear guidelines and expectations for the use of phones in the classroom. In conclusion, phones can be a very helpful learning tool that should be allowed in the classroom. They provide students with access to information and resources, preparing them for the real world, and minimizing potential distractions. We can create a positive and productive learning environment. It’s time for educators to embrace the potential of technology and add it into their teaching strategies instead of pushing it off to the side and wasting that potential.