Class of 2020’s second-in-command helped keep things running

Joel Barajana

When Aurora ran for office last year, she wasn’t sure she’d win.

Aurora Markham is currently the Senior Class Vice President for Armijo High School. She was ecstatic to even get elected, but she worked really hard for it and has wanted the title ever since her sophomore year.

Because of the quarantine, most of her responsibilities are done for the year, but as vice president she had been part of the team that plans and runs meetings as well as senior activities and events.

As a senior, Markham was disappointed that the yearbook staff was not allowed to include Senior Quotes in the publication. “Though protests often do help with making change, I didn’t think the senior quotes protests would really do much,” she said. Even her position as a class officer was not able to sway the final decision. One thing she has tried to change is the participation rate of students, by planning fun events and helping motivate other class members. “A lot of things can be so much more fun if more students participated and had school spirit,” she said.

After high school, Markham said that she doesn’t plan to continue serving as an officer in Student Government, but being part of the Leadership class in college is definitely an option.

Leadership hasn’t been her only contribution to Armijo High School Markham has also a member of both Cross-Country and Track since her freshman year.