Fairfield Subaru and AAAS Share Books with AHS Students

Robotics Club members Nicole Herston and Philip Jereza join two employees from Fairfield Subaru to promote the donation opportunity.

The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) has partnered with Subaru through its Subaru Loves Learning initiative since 2015. In 2018, Subaru and its retailers worked with AAAS to donate more than 80,000 award-winning science books to schools across the country. Many of those books ended up in the hands of Armijo students and staff, thanks to the combined efforts of Armijo’s librarian, Ms. Denise Montegato, and robotics instructor Ms. Diane Halsey.

According to https://www.sbfprize.org/subaru-loves-learning-main/, “the Subaru Loves Learning (SLL) initiative, part of Subaru of America, Inc.’s Love Promise philanthropic platform dedicated to supporting causes and passions that Subaru and its customers care about, has become an annual partnership with the Science Books & Films (SB&F) project of AAAS.

As part of the automaker’s commitment to education, Fairfield Subaru and other participating Subaru retailers around the country work alongside AAAS to provide students and teachers in schools serving kindergarten through twelfth grade with winning and finalist books of the AAAS/Subaru SB&F Prize for Excellence in Science Books. These books are supported with educational materials created in partnership with AAAS Science NetLinks.

In addition, many English teachers received a box of bookmarks that were donated by member s of the community. The bookmarks had personal messages of encouragement for the student readers, statements like the famous quote from Serena Williams: “A champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.” Each bookmark had the following message from SLL: “When We Love, They Learn – Subaru and the American Association for the Advancement of Science wish you well this school year. We hope you enjoy your book and the following note from someone who was once a student just like you.”