PSAT 10 – Updated information

The Preliminary SAT, or PSAT, which students can take to prepare for the SAT, is beginning registration and testing.
Testing for the PSAT 10 officially opens on February 26th and ends on April 27th. Between these dates it is up to the school to schedule when to hold the PSAT’s. Armijo will be offering the test on April 3 but there are only 65 spaces offered. The test will cost $20 and spaces will be available until March 23.

“Students who are interested in taking the exam may pay before school, passing periods, lunch time or after school until 3:30 pm at the Treasurer’s Office,” said Ms. Cindy Limneos, Armijo’s treasurer. “Payment is cash or check.  Please make all checks to: Armijo High School.” No waivers are available, according to Ms. Limneos.

The PSAT is scored out of 1520– a little lower than the SAT, which is scored out of 1600. The PSAT is more based off of your knowledge that students have learned from their classes, so no one needs to worry about having to learn anything new. It would be smart, however, to take a practice test. Using SAT study materials on Khan Academy and such would be a smart idea too, as the PSAT and SAT are very similar.

The PSAT is first offered in October and focuses on juniors who are eligible to earn scholarships for high scores. These tests are normally seen as practice for the SAT, but they are more than that. The PSAT in October is also called the NMSQT, or the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test, and is used to see if students qualify for the National Merit Scholarship award. This award gives out more than $180 million dollars in scholarship money to students who qualify every year.
The PSAT 10 is specifically designed for sophomores and prepares them for taking the PSAT NMSQT in October. Knowing this, it’d be best to take the PSAT seriously and not just take it as a prep for the ‘more serious’ SAT.