FSUSD Eliminates Co-Pay on Reduced-Price Breakfast for Remainder of School Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=184735&picture=school-63

Tim Goree, Executive Director, Administrative Services & Community Engagement

Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District’s Child Nutrition Services Department has announced they will no longer charge the co-pay of $0.30 for reduced-price breakfast, beginning January 8, 2018 for the remainder of the school year. Those students who are eligible for reduced-priced meals will be able to eat breakfast at school for free.

Using a tool provided by the California Department of Education, the district’s Child Nutrition Services Department was able to estimate a 64% increase in student participation in the breakfast program if the co-pay is eliminated. Because the district’s food program revenues are determined by participation in its meal programs, eliminating the co-pay could increase food program revenues by nearly $12,000 per year.

More importantly, studies show that students who eat a healthy breakfast are more focused, perform better on tests, have better attendance and are sick less often. The goal of the Child Nutrition Services Department is to feed students a nutritional meal in the morning to prepare them for learning, and by making this change, they can accomplish this and increase revenues at the same time.