One class that only seniors can take

In This Class – Government

Photo by Andy Feliciotti on Unsplash

Everyone should leave high school with a working understanding of our government system.

All students working toward graduating will have to complete specific courses, including four years of English, at least two years of mathematics, and three years of social science. Social science includes things like U.S History, World History, and one really important course, American Government.

American Government is a semester class only offered to seniors. This class provides an introduction to the structures and functions of the U.S. government and covers topics like the American political system, the Constitution, the three branches of government, the roles of political parties, the electoral process, and public policy.

Students in this class can expect to learn about the history and development of the American government, how the American government operates, and the rights and responsibilities of U.S. citizens. This class is designed to help students develop critical thinking skills and become informed thinking skills. Upon completion of the course, students should be able to demonstrate a basic understanding of state and local governments and their relationship with the federal government.

American government is required for students to graduate, which is why it is an important class, but it can also be helpful for students who plan to pursue studies in political science, law, or public administration, while providing a basis for students to make good choices in their responsibilities as citizens in a community, including voting for candidates and understanding items on a ballot and the effect of their passing or failing.