School play crushes it!

Performances continue November 18 and 19

Crush, a sci-fi/comedy/drama/romance, is a play written by Stephen Gregg, performed by Armijo High School students in November in the Black Box Theatre. It is about an alien named Aspen who is disguising as a human in the small town of Pin Cushion, California. The local high school is putting on a play of Our Town.

Aspen has five other invisible bodies around her that nobody can see or hear, except for Bark, the town oddball. Everyone thinks Bark is going crazy, even though crazy things are happening throughout the town such as love letters appearing out of nowhere that are impossible to open and teens going into comas.

The play started a little after 7 pm but that is due to it being opening night when I attended the play. I ended up finding myself enjoying the play a lot. It was very funny. The characters were very dramatic about things and I was laughing throughout the entire thing. It is hilarious, heartbreaking, and full of unforgettable characters.

The main themes I saw present in the play are what it means to be human and loving yourself and those around you even when everything seems to be going wrong. It was very thought-provoking. A lot of the characters felt very relatable especially to teenagers.

Ms. Sheena Beeson, who is the Theatre and Dance teacher as well as the director of the play, worked very hard with all of the cast and crew. They started auditions on Wednesday, September 7, and have put a lot of hard work into making this play enjoyable for everyone to watch. They also provided concessions, including candy, chips, and water for purchase. Crush continues on November 17 and 18.

Around the end of March, a Spring Musical is expected. Auditions will be December 13, 14, and 15 after school in T2 which is across from the cafeteria. All students are able to try out for acting, singing and stage crew.