Plants, animals and every living thing

In This Class: Biology

Living Earth Biology teaches about living things in general, including micro-ecosystems like this.

Pierre Pocs

Whether or not you plan to go to college, you’ll probably take Living Earth Biology during high school. Biology is the study of living things and there are several varieties of the course offered in the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District (FSUSD). All freshmen are expected to take Living Earth Biology as the first science class they take in high school.

Freshmen can take Living Earth Biology which is taught by Mr. Sherwood Fuellas in D-1, Ms. Dawn Konstantinopoulus in D-3, Ms. Melanie Moore in D-7, and Mr. Pete Smith in D-12. Some upperclassmen take Biology NCP with Ms. Billy Hurst in P-0, or Mr. Lindsey Weller in C-3, while others take IB Biology Higher Level (HL) I and II with Ms. Beth Nordeen in D-10.

While most students take Living Earth Biology as freshmen, Armijo also gives an option for IB Biology Higher Level I and II classes, progressive courses offered in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. “These courses will cover a variety of biological topics,” explains the Course Catalog. “Students will conduct extensive laboratory work. In addition, students will complete a project that is an intensive investigation in the topics of biology and how the all sciences combine to describe the world and how it works. These courses lead to an IB examination that meets the Group 4 requirement for IB Diploma candidates.” While it covers the D requirement in the A-G map, it can also be meet the G requirement. These classes are only offered at Armijo.

While Armijo offers IB Biology, Rodriguez offers classes in Agricultural Biology and Advanced Placement (AP) Biology. Both Rodriguez and Fairfield High Schools offer Honors Biology.