Could Armijo’s winner by you?

Award: $50, Certificate & Medal

There is only one winner for high school.

LENGTH: Length is to be from 800–1,200 words.
FORM: Essay must be typed or prepared on a computer, using black type in a non-script font no smaller than 12 point or larger than 14 point. A limited vision student may use Braille, a tape recorder, or very large type. In this case, a written transcript must be included, as well as a teacher’s or physician’s letter attesting to the student’s special need. Please note that the entire essay must be the student’s original work. This includes all research, writing and editing, which must be done by the student and not by a parent, teacher, tutor or other helper. Essays may only be submitted once to the contest. Essay submissions that fail to meet these guidelines will be disqualified.

Each essay must have a title page listing the following:
Title of Essay: “Name of your subject”  (Include a subtitle below the title of the essay), contestant’s full name and address. (street, rural route, PO Box, city, state, zip code) (Note: If the school’s regulations prohibit student contact information, then school contact information may be substituted), contestant’s phone number (with area code) and e-mail address, if available,
name of contestant’s school and grade level and name of sponsoring DAR chapter

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Essay must include a bibliography listing all references utilized. The bibliography should be cited in a standard, recognized citation style (e.g., APA, Chicago, MLA, etc.). Internet resources, if used, should be cited in the same style, including the electronic address used to access the document as supplementary information. Students are encouraged to use primary sources and cite them. Any essay with information copied directly from sources without using quotes will be disqualified.

JUDGING AND AWARDS: Judging will be based on historical accuracy, bibliography/quality of references, organization of material, interest, originality, spelling, grammar, punctuation, neatness and evidence as student’s own work.
Pictures, maps, drawings, graphics and other such additions will not be considered in judging and should not be included.
Judging at the chapter level will be conducted by three judges, including at least one non-DAR judge. Judging at other levels will be conducted by three judges, all of whom are non-DAR members.
CHAPTER: One essay is selected as the chapter winner and forwarded to the state American History chair for state competition. Patriots of the American Revolution essay contest chapter winner certificate and medal may be presented by the chapter if desired. In addition, chapters may present certificates of participation to every student who participates in the essay contest. These supplies are available from The DAR Store.
STATE: One essay is selected as the state winner and forwarded to the appropriate national division vice chair of American History for division competition. The state winner receives a medal and state winner certificate which are available from The DAR Store.
DIVISION: One essay is selected as the division winner and forwarded for national competition to the national vice chair. Division winners are presented a division winner certificate and a book.
NATIONAL: One essay is selected as the national winner. A certificate, pin and monetary award is presented to national first place winner at Continental Congress. The national second and third place winners receive a certificate and a check. Winning essays may appear in official DAR communications.
Note: All essays must first be submitted to a local chapter. Essays sent directly to the national chair or vice chair of the essay contest will not be considered.