Nelda Mundy Elementary celebrates Black History Month and uplifts student voices

Door decorating, presentations and more bring opportunities of expression to young students.

The month of February at Nelda Mundy focused on celebrating black history and finding ways to uplift student voices.

Every morning, brave students from all grade levels got in front of the camera and microphone to spotlight an influential African American of their choice. The one minute presentations had a goal of educating others about different Black Americans who have made a difference.

In addition to Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks, some other people spotlighted included Maya Angelou, Wilt Chamberlain, Amanda Goreman, Oprah Winfrey, and Langston Hughes.

After being asked about how they felt hearing the spotlights every morning, one 5th grader stated, “I love them, and I think they are great for people to learn about others because a lot of people only really know about Martin Luthur King Jr and Rosa Parks. It benefits students and teaches them more than they already know.”

Along with the spotlights to start off each day, members of the Nelda Mundy community strolled around the classrooms to admire student decorated doors focused on spotlighting influential various Black Americans. Together, students and teachers chose an African American, or a quote from an African American to highlight, and created beautifully decorated doors to honor these heroes.

A fifth grade student voiced her opinion about decorating the doors and said with excitement, “I feel like it’s a great way for everyone to appreciate and celebrate all the African Americans that did something great in their lives!. We got to pour our heart and soul into decorating the door with our feelings about how they have helped us.”