Sophomore year made positive memories to last

Athlete focus – Ruben Vera, Varsity Baseball

An ending to a season never imagined.

ID photo

An ending to a season never imagined.

Ruben Vera has been playing baseball since his Dad introduced him to the sport at the age of four. His eyes were originally set on playing at De La Salle Jesuit High School in Vacaville, but changed his mind. “I decided to attend Armijo because of the academic opportunities I would receive,” he said. He’s played for Armijo since his freshman year. His sophomore team made it to play-offs, but his junior year got cut short due to COVID.

Vera said that his most memorable game was the third Vanden game his sophomore year. The game would clinch them to make the playoffs for the first time in eight years. “I came up with the bases loaded with a 2-1 count,” he said. “I hit a double that short hopped the fence to clear the bases and we went on to win and take down Vanden. I also got the opportunity to come in the last inning and close out the game on the mound.”

Armijo wasn’t the only place Vera played baseball. “Outside of school, I played for CBA Marucci and this team was based out of Los Angeles,” said Vera. His CBA team traveled all across the country where they were ranked #1 team in the country for two years in a row. “Throughout high school I was heavily recruited by a pretty big amount of Division 1 schools but due to COVID it went pretty downhill, but I didn’t look back because I always had my academics to help achieve my goals.”

Vera plays shortstop and right-handed pitcher (RHP) and even though last season was cut short, this year they were still able to salvage ten games in the shortened season.

While his heart is set on baseball, it isn’t his only sport. “After four years I am finally playing soccer,” he said, “but back in my sophomore year I was able to play football for Armijo. After a lifetime of baseball, though, Vera has decided to keep the focus on academics. ”I will be attending CSU Northridge in the fall to major in Civil Engineering,” he said.

At home, he runs his own business detailing cars to save up some money for college. He also works at Boot Bam, spends time at the gym and collects baseball hats.

He has a 16-years old sister Victoria Vera and said that his role models are his parents and Tom Brady.