Three sisters ready to share the campus

Sibling spotlight – Guzman Parra trio

This will probably be the last time that the Guzman Parra sisters share a school, so they are taking advantage of the situation, even during a pandemic.

Zairy

“The best thing about having a sibling on campus with me is just seeing them and casually bumping into them throughout the day,” said senior Zairy. People have said that the sisters look alike and it is hard to deny that they are related. They have shared campuses, and sometimes teachers, in one combination or other, between Suisun Elementary, Crystal Middle School and, now, Armijo.

While the girls have not spent time together on this campus yet, they know the advantage of sharing space. As far as going to school together, freshman Ashley said that “just having someone around to hang out with feels nice and more comfortable than being alone.”

Sherlyn

Junior Sherlyn said that sharing the campus makes it “easier to get in contact [with each other]… Plus I get along with them, so it’s nice having them around.” This can be a drawback, too, though.

“The worst thing about having a sibling on campus is probably feeling like you’re being watched 24/7,” said Zairy. “It may not be true, but it’s always a thought lingering in the back of my mind.”

While they’ve shared campuses together in the past and experienced distance learning together this year, they aren’t likely to attend the same college because they have different interests for their future.

Zairy, for instance, plans on studying psychology. “Learning about the function of the human brain, mental illnesses, and basic human mental functions have always interested me,” she said.

Ashley

“Some part of me really wants to become a vet someday because of how much I appreciate and adore animals,” said Ashley. “I’m interested in drawing sometimes. It’s fun to do when I have nothing else to do.”

“I don’t have a set plan for after graduation but I definitely want to go to college and maybe study architecture unless something else catches my interest,” said Sherlyn.

While they have their futures to consider, the present has been memorable and challenging.

“School is a bit harder when it comes to motivation now, but I think it’s for the best until things are safe and back to normal,” said Sherlyn.

“It’s my first year at Armijo and it kind of sucks not being able to walk around campus to explore or meet my best friend again,” said Ashley. “It’s also my other sister’s last year of high school so I can’t really get the chance to have fun together during her last few weeks. I guess I’m ready to go to the campus once the whole pandemic is over, but then again, there are many pros and cons about both online and real life school.”

Zairy also felt distanced during the pandemic. “It has made me feel like I’m missing out on a great senior year. I’d love to return to school and begin to have the senior year I’ve always wished for, but, on the other hand, I wish to be safe at home,” she said.

The sisters have two other siblings, an older sister and an older brother, and both attended Armijo.

In such a big family, it is often hard to know what people think about each other, but people often assume. Zairy, for instance, thinks that her sisters “would probably rant about how confusing I am to read and understand, because in reality, I actually am, she said. “I’d hope to think they’ll say something sweet, like how they can trust me, but you truly never know until you ask.”

“I’ve never really thought of what they’d say [about me],” said Sherlyn, “but I am pretty sensitive, especially while watching sad movies so I wouldn’t be surprised.”

Ashley thinks her sisters see her as a pretty quiet person, but still waters run deep. “I would like to say, I love my siblings very much. They’re everything I’ve ever needed. They fill the void in my heart and I’m grateful for their existence. I don’t know what I would do without them,” she said.