October is National Bullying Prevention Month

National Bullying Prevention Month, which is recognized in October, is a time to bring awareness to victims of bullying. Groups across the country will form campaigns and provide resources to address the issue.

This campaign was created in 2006 by Pacer’s National Bullying Prevention Center. The goal of this campaign, according to www.stompoutbullying.com, is to encourage schools, communities and organizations to work together and to end hatred, racism and homophobia.

Here are some known facts about bullying:

• One in five students ages 12-18 in the United States has been bullied during the school year.
  • About 160,000 students have skipped school because of bullying.
  • The most common types of bullying reported are verbal harassment, social harassment, physical bullying and cyber-bullying.
  • Students aged 12-18 who reported being bullied said that they believed their bully had the power to influence other students to be convinced by what is said about them.

As family, friends and colleagues at Armijo, we can work together and wipe out bullying for the better good. Even if it doesn’t look like there is some bullying going around, there are still a lot of fights happening. On the first week of school there were at least three fights, with hundreds of witnesses. It’s time to stand up against the fighting and rise above it.

Anyone who sees someone being bullied in school should immediately share that information with a teacher, school counselor, or the principal. Anyone who feels that he or she is a victim should also tell someone trustworthy, someone who can help end the bullying.

It is time to stand up and be strong. People should surround themselves with others who are supportive and leave behind those who might drag them down. Students with or without a support system locally can find help on line. Here are some helpful numbers to help deal with the negative attitudes that bullying promotes:

Stop Bullying Now Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

National Eating Disorders Association: 1-800-931-2237

American Addiction Centers: 888-970-4559