Siblings: Brothers on the field and at home

One of the most important things about having a brother on campus is knowing that he has your back. That’s what Matthew and Kyle Payne agreed on. Because they don’t share any teachers or classes, it is only a select number of people who know that the brothers are related, but that’s enough for older brother Kyle. “I have to hear about all the bad things he may do,” he said. But it is all a balance, a give and take, when sharing the campus with siblings.

The experience isn’t new. Since they are only a year apart, the boys went to Dan O. Root together for elementary school and moved on to sharing the campus at Crystal Middle School. While they are spending time on Armijo’s campus together, the likelihood of going to college together is questionable. Kyle doesn’t plan on seeing Matthew at the same school after graduating from Armijo, but Matthew expects that they will both end up at Sacramento State.

The brothers both want to go on to play football in college. “I plan on attending college to play football, and hopefully become an NFL player,” said Kyle.  Matthew is undecided about whether he wants to pursue a career in football or music, or maybe become a fire fighter.

Kyle and Matthew like to play football; Kyle likes to play other sports (he’s on the Armijo track team, too) and he likes to work out, too.

The brothers are the youngest of five children. Their older sisters are 28 and 25, and their older brother is 22. If Kyle could guess what Matthew would say about his closest brother, he thinks he would say something like, “Make it to the league for us,” or perhaps “Stop being such a nerd.”