Club Focus: Key Club

For the students involved in Armijo Key Club, every week brings a surprise— a new opportunity
to make the community a better place. Key Club, originally founded in Sacramento, California in
the year 1925, is most known as the world’s oldest and largest service program for high school
students.

Members have the opportunity to participate in weekly service events, attend leadership
conferences, and fundraise for two global non-profit organizations: the Pediatric Trauma
Program and Project ELIMINATE, which aids in funding maternal and neonatal tetanus
prevention.

Last summer, Key Club members hosted a Pediatric Trauma Program car wash fundraiser that
raised more than $500 in donated funds. During the Fall, Armijo Key Club members have
participated in Produce Pipeline in the Fairfield Farmers Market, collecting and distributing
donated foods to local homeless shelters and transitional housing facilities. During Winter, Key
Club members served complimentary breakfasts and distributed gifts at a free Applebee’s
“Breakfast with Santa” service event.

Over the course of many weekends, Armijo Key Club members have contributed more than
twenty five hours towards the Matt Garcia Downtown Cleanup Project, held on Saturday
mornings. More recently, volunteers from Armijo Key Club have packed and inspected produce
at the Contra Costa & Solano Food Bank in preparation for distribution to needy families in
Fairfield.

“I’m so glad that I joined Key Club,” said officer Lael Alday, “Not only has it been tons of fun, but
it has also made me a better public speaker.” In addition to school-based service projects,
Armijo Key Club members have the opportunity to volunteer alongside Key Club members from
Rodriguez High School, Vanden High School, Fairfield High School, and more. Fundraising
competitions such as the Fairfield High Key Club Dodgeball Tournament have attracted dozens
of participants from across Solano County.

Through the course of the current school year, Armijo Key Club members have volunteered with
Meals on Wheels, served food at local Crab Feeds, beautified the Sacramento Kiwanis Family
House, and led campus cleanliness efforts.
In addition to service events, Key Club members also have access to Key Club scholarships
and the Kiwanis Assist-A-Grad scholarship opportunity. “Not only has Key Club helped me
educationally,” said officer Christina Vo, “It has brought me closer to new friends and my
community!”

All students with a drive to serve are encouraged to join. Meetings are held in room G-3 every
Wednesday at lunch. Interested students can stay up to date with new events through Armijo
Key Club’s Remind at @armijokc.