Coach Feature: “Basketball Is My Favorite Sport”

Coach Meeter takes a moment to pose with his wife and three daughters.

Mr. Rob Meeter has been teaching at Armijo for the last three years, but this is his second year coaching basketball here.  Before coming to Armijo, he taught and coached for 20 years at a high school in Portland, Oregon.

“I have coached cross country, track and field, volleyball, and basketball,” he said. “Basketball is my favorite sport.” He would encourage young people to consider coaching others, but warns them to “not focus so much on winning, but instead focus on getting better, enjoying the experiences and learning opportunities that sports can offer, and building relationships.”

Before becoming a PE teacher, Mr. Meeter worked in both the automotive industry and in construction.  “I also milked cows on a large dairy farm in Iowa,” he said.

Never one to be bored, Mr. Meeter said that he likes being active and participating in a variety of activities. Those activities include bike riding, weight lifting, hiking, as well as playing both basketball and tennis.  He said, “I also enjoy spending time with my family” which includes his wife and three college-aged daughters.

Mr. Meeter said that he would like to see “more Armijo students participating in high school athletics because of the benefits that extra-curricular activities can provide for students.”