Wrestling Is Also for Women

Joel Bejarano Alanis

Dyanna concentrates in school but also in sports.

While it might not be considered a sport for girls, Dyanna Gutierrez has been a part of Armijo’s Girls’ Wrestling since her sophomore year.

Gutierrez got into wrestling after her father signed her up for Jiu Jitsu classes which she really liked. After that, she met the Wrestling Coach Cesar Correa who really motivated her to give wrestling a try. To help her with wrestling, she still does Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as well as Judo.

In her sophomore and junior years, Gutierrez has gone to state. She said that she likes to wrestle boys because they are not as flexible and their muscles lead to having an easier grip.

Even though she is undecided on where she wants to go for college, Gutierrez has decided her career and wants to be an elementary school teacher and maybe a high school wrestling coach.

The girls in her family see her as a role model and have been following in her footsteps. Her sister Ashlee who is 15 is also part of Armijo’s Girls’ Wrestling and her little sister Karrissa, who is only 12, also aspires to be a future wrestler. Gutierrez said that her biggest role model has been her teammate, Chyna Rodriguez who wrestled at Armijo and is now wrestling at Midland College in Nebraska.

Even though she thinks that Armijo is a little “rough around the edges,” she still thinks that the teachers are really nice and always take care of their students. Advice she would like to give other students out there is to go tryouts because it is fun to meet the people who share common interests and to see them grow as a people.

“I would like to say that anyone who is contemplating wrestling to really give it a shot because wrestling is really a sport for everyone. Even if you think you’re fat, skinny, tall, short — all shapes and sizes succeed in this sport. We really want Armijo’s wrestling team to be tough as a whole and not have a couple tough people. If you like to work hard, wrestling could be the sport for you, and you should try-out next year. My sister Ashlee will need some new tough girls (and boys) to help her get to state.”