What’s the point of your paycheck?

Photo by Kenny Eliason on Unsplash

Does your money prepare you for the future of are you living in the present?

For generations, high school students have found money through part time jobs, allowances, or gifts from relatives. Once they have it, though, they face the decision on how to spend it.

In a recent email poll, 50 students shared how they addressed this challenge. The most popular expense, with 28% of the students responding, was clothing. More girls buy clothing, but both boys and girls admitted to buying clothes and not wearing some of the items.

Entertainment was the second most popular item, with 22% of the respondents sharing that they spend their money on things like movies, concerts, games, or just visits to the mall.

Food came in third place among 18% of the students who said that they spend their money on snack or meals from their favorite restaurants.

Right behind food, 16% of students said that they spend their money on hobbies. Perfecting a certain skill like cooking, buying sports equipment, or paying for music lessons were ways that students said they invest in their hobbies.

While all of these expenditures are worthwhile, 20% of the students admitted that they use some of their money for the future, for things like a car, their college education, future events, or even a house or apartment. Students who saved their money shared advice to not “spend all your money on stuff that you won’t use” and “it’s better to save because you’ll never know what will happen in the future where you might need it.”

What do you spend your money on? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.