How to fill out a job application

Photo by Tim Mossholder on Unsplash

Some jobs, like In-N-Out, Subway, McDonald’s, and Six Flags, do have some positions that allow students to work at 15, but they have different rules and regulations for their employees.

Just turned 16 and looking for a job? Some jobs hire at 15 years old but have more restrictions. Most jobs have a minimum age of 16 to work.

For students who want to get started, one of the best ways is to go to indeed.com and create an account, along with a resume. Candidates will put contact information, education, and relevant work experience. Most jobs that employ teens understand a lack of experience and are willing to hire them for their first job.

Once that is completed teens can search for a job in the area of Suisun/Fairfield. Some jobs allow job seekers to click the blue “apply now” button and the resume will automatically be sent to the employer. Other jobs will have a blue button saying “Apply on company website” which will lead to the employer’s website. Those applications typically take longer because they ask more questions, but they aren’t very difficult questions.

Now, those who get a call back from a job (which usually can take up to a week) can schedule an interview that is mutually convenient. For interviews, it is always best to be honest, not nervous because the interviewers are, after all, just normal human beings. An interview question that is asked a lot is “Why do you want to work here?” and a good answer would be something positive about how good the company’s environment is.

For those who get the job, congrats! Still, there is one more step necessary to complete before starting the job and that is obtaining a valid school work permit. Those can be received in D-9 with Mr. Brandon Weyandt. It is recommended that job-seekers email him beforehand just to make sure what time works best.

New hires will need to fill out the information, have the employer fill out a section, and bring it back to Mr. Weyandt so that he can sign and complete it. Once he signs it, he will keep a copy and he will also give the individual a copy to give to the employer.

All of these are steps necessary for students under 18, but for seniors who have celebrated their 18th birthday, a work permit is not required unless your job requires it.

Once all those steps are done, the new hire is ready to earn a paycheck.