Royals represented at Special event

Students prepare to compete for the joy of the sport.

On March 24, students throughout the  Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District (FSUSD) joined with representatives from Special Olympics Northern California for the annual Track & Field Day that was held at Rodriguez High School. After two years of cancelled events due to the pandemic, it was finally time to regroup for competitive fun.

According to an article in the Vacaville Reporter: “The event is one of many FSUSD Adaptive Physical Education departments held over the years, which has also included games of golf, basketball, soccer, bowling, and even an annual prom. When the track and field event was last held, the athletes were made up of special education students from middle schools in the district. This year, they were students from four of his high schools: Armijo, Fairfield, Rodriguez and the H. Glenn Richardson Education Complex.”

Medals were given out by law enforcement to recognize outstanding performances.

And the event isn’t just for the competitors. It opened with a performance from the Rodriguez Drum Corps and students from throughout the FSUSD helped the special athletes to do their best.

David Isom, vice-chairman of the FSUSD school board, told the Vacaville Report that “it was indeed a special day, which he marked by spelling “special”, as he addressed the crowd. He also made sure that the participants knew that they were more than just students or athletes…You are Olympians,” he said. “What a great honour, what a great title to be called an Olympian.”

In the tradition of the ancient Olympic games, there was a torch run, where athletes representing four different schools carried paper torches, running alongside members from local law enforcement. Student athletes participated in contemporary events of both speed and endurance.

Overall, it was a rewarding day for everyone who participated.