Looking to ignite the spark in you?

In this class: Welding

Welding is a career that is in big demand.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Only at Armijo can students learn the skills necessary for Welding and Metal Fabrication. The introductory class, Welding I, can be taken as early as the freshman year and is designed “to prepare students with the required introductory welding technology skills to successfully transition into the second and third year courses of the Materials Joining pathway,” according to the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District (FSUSD) Course Catalog.  

“Students will learn the basics of Arc, MIG, and gas welding and cutting.  Students will be introduced to basic electrical and electronic theory and practices, with hands-on skills included.”

Welding allows students to create.

Once they have been introduced to the basics, they can move onto other skills, developing their expertise in gas welding and cutting, arc and MIG welding, as the catalog explains. But it goes beyond that. In Welding II, students start to learn “programmable logic control theory, application and troubleshooting skills with an emphasis on factory assembly line processes.”  

Finally, students in Welding III refine these skills and many move on to understand and develop their knowledge of robotics theory, programming, and maintenance.

These classes help students prepare for graduation as they fulfill the Fine Arts, Career Technical Education (CTE) or Elective credits needed, but they also prepare them for a high-paying jobs and provide skills that benefit them for years to come.