Voters learn the system, history

In this class – Government

Decisions are made in this building, learning about them takes place in classrooms.

One of the classes that almost everyone takes in their senior year is only a semester long. American Government is taken in coordination with Economics, either in the fall or in the spring. The class in its purest form is offered at Armijo, Fairfield, Public Safety Academy (PSA), Rodriguez and both Sem Yeto campuses.

The Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District (FSUSD) course catalog describes the course as “a college preparatory course which is a survey of national, state and local governments. This semester course focuses on the historical/ philosophic foundations of the American political tradition. A primary focus is placed on an in-depth study of the Constitution, Presidency, Congress, federal judiciary, constitutional law civil rights-liberties, political parties, elections, public opinion, voting behavior, and state and local government.”

Armijo’s Academy class offers another dimension to this class, “using computer information systems (CIS) as a research tool. Students examine the major institutions of state and federal government.”

While that version of the class is only available at Armijo, there is another class, American Government and Politics AP, which challenges students even more at Fairfield, PSA and Rodriguez. It is an Advanced Placement course that goes more deeply into “the philosophy that underlies national, state, and local governments and the problems they face.” Upon a passing grade on the AP test, it can earn students college credit In the University of California system as an introduction to a political science course. “Only students who are prepared for a very demanding and challenging course of study should consider this class,” the catalog explains. “Extensive essay writing and a formal research paper are required.”

Government teachers at Armijo include Mr. Lindsay Weller in C-9, Ms. Ryenn Bonnett in P-1, Mr. Rahil Mali in E-8, Mr. Tyler Losberger in G-1, and Mr. Gustavo Falcon in G-2.