Let’s learn to make a movie

In this class: Digital Video Production

Considering a class behind the cameras? Start here!

Digital Video Production (DVP) is a class offered at both Armijo and Rodriguez. The first year of the program is open for students at any grade level, but underclassmen can take the course a second year for Elective credits. The first year of DVP fulfills the UC/CSU requirements in the categories of F and G.

Prior to taking DVP classes, students are encouraged to have completed Computer Art and Multimedia I.

In the first year, students can learn “the specialized vocabulary of the film and television industry and use it to express themselves clearly and concisely,” according to the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District (FSUSD) Course Catalog.

The class focuses on developing ideas and preparing them through outlines and scripts, for live presentations and recorded events. “Most important is the student study the art of filmmaking, and the creative process that precedes any film or television project. Students will study the impact of film and television on society from a social, economic, and political viewpoint, and learn to look at film and video using the tools of media criticism,” according to the Catalog.

The history of filmmaking, as well as the advances in the art form are part of the focus, and that means a lot of work must be done outside of the school day.

The second year builds on what students learned earlier, focusing on “advanced principles and techniques that apply to the pre-production, production and postproduction phases of videography,” according to the Catalog. This is where students become better filmmakers.

Where the first year is spent learning about the art of filmmaking, the second year focuses on careers within the industries, including film, TV and broadcasting. Students who make it through both years should have developed a portfolio that can be shared with potential employers.