Knowing where knowledge started

Photo by Glen Noble on Unsplash

Theory of Knowledge takes students beyond books.

Theory of Knowledge is a class offered at Armijo for International Baccalaureate (IB) students. At the beginning of their high school careers, students have the option of working toward the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and can do the full program starting their junior year. This program offers college-level courses to high school students. Theory of Knowledge is one of the required courses for IB students to obtain their IB Diploma. Ms. Catherine Plecenik, Mr. John Brandt, and Ms. Vanessa Walling-Sisi each teach these classes.

“I think the class is very educational. You have to be very social in the class and you get to connect with your peers,” said Naylea Navarro.

Theory of Knowledge, also known as epistemology, allows students to learn why they learn and learn about what they are expected to learn. Having discussions about the many ways we know things is the main focus of Theory of Knowledge. According to Ms. Plecenik, “The concepts we (students) aim to learn revolve around the ways we know things and the areas of knowledge in which these ways function. Our units each cover a way of knowing or an area of knowledge.”

Discussions are an essential part of the course. “The class itself is very fun and entertaining. Overall, it is a good class and it prepares you for the future,” said Jordan Scrivens.