Club Corner: Helping Hands

June 1, 2017

“Helping Hands fulfills Fairfield’s community needs— and my CAS hours too!” said Senior Regan Corley. Helping Hands is a student led club at Armijo that broadcasts service opportunities within the local community where its members can attend and volunteer. “Our mission is to create a symbiotic relationship between students and our community,” said club president Sophia Pereira.

Earlier this semester, members came together and collected boxes of hygiene products for the women at the Heather House in Fairfield. The club collected items such as toilet paper, body soap, feminine products, and baby diapers.

Recently, the club has also participated in VAMOS, a multicultural event at B. Gale Wilson for the Dual Immersion program. “It is one of my favorites because it not only brings an educational aspect to Hispanic and Latin culture, but it incorporates a lot of fun activities for kids and parents to learn from,” said Pereira.

In addition to providing aid to the Heather House and VAMOS, Helping Hands has participated in the annual Solano Land Trust feed. President Elect Anika Patel said, “Interacting with and meeting a lot of the ranch owners and farmers in our area who provide for us showed me how important it is to protect Solano land, as it is crucial to these people’s daily lives.”

It really evolved into a source of joy for me

— Leonardo Martinez-Perez

“It really evolved into a source of joy for me,” said member Leonardo Martinez-Perez. Through volunteer experiences at Helping Hands, members become part of the growing connection between Armijo students and the global community. “Helping Hands is special to me because coming into Armijo as a Freshman, I didn’t really have anything that made me feel like I was apart of something until I joined the club,” said Pereira.

Pereira hopes that students will take it upon themselves to participate in events and decide to continue with volunteering in the future. “We happily welcome any new members who want to join our cycle of giving! Anyone can use a helping hand!” said Pereira.

If you are interested in joining Helping Hands, the club meets during lunch in Ms. Johnson’s room, A-4, on Wednesdays at lunch.