Introducing Armijo’s newest principal, Mr. John McMorris

Aldo Suarez

Mr. McMorris’ goal is to help Armijo students grow

While Mr. John McMorris is new to the Armijo campus in an official capacity, he is not new to school leadership. He has been in the education system for over 30 years, serving as a teacher and then as a principal. Eight of those years were as a high school principal, but he’s also served at many other levels.

Before he went into administration, Mr. McMorris was a history teacher and he loved interacting with students.

Mr. McMorris was already familiar with Armijo, having served as an interim vice principal years ago. An interim administrator is someone who fills in when the regular administrator is not able to be on campus for a period of time, and in his case he helped one of our vice principals out when she took maternity leave, but when she returned, he had to leave until recently.

As a principal, Mr. McMorris said that his strengths include his ability to relate to some of the students and to help guide them on the right path. He said that his goal here at Armijo is to “see the students grow into something greater.”

But life isn’t just about work, and Mr. McMorris enjoys his time away from campus, too. He loves to go swimming and to read books. In fact, he loves to read so much that he said it wasn’t unusual for him to read up to ten books a month.

Another thing he likes to do in his free time is take his dogs for walks. He has two dogs – a Chihuahua and a much bigger dog – each with his own personality.

While he is the third administrator in as many years at Armijo, he intends to stay and encourages students daily to be successful.