Clean Campus Campaign Feature: Steve Haynes

May 28, 2018

The Armijo Clean Campus Campaign is a project designed by Armijo Key Club and Friday Night Live to bring campus cleanliness and the important work of our custodians to light.

Mr. Haynes, affectionately known to Armijo students and staff simply as “Steve,” serves as Armijo’s head custodian. This year marks a decade in Haynes’ work at Armijo, which began in 2008. Highlights of Haynes’ work include his daily interactions with students. “You guys make me laugh and help me enjoy my job,” said Haynes “If I had the time and paper, I would write down every time you kids amazed me.”

Haynes begins his mornings by opening the school and delivering newspapers and supplies to classrooms and the library. Throughout the day, Haynes comes to the rescue of broken facilities and removes trash from the Armijo campus. Later in the day, Haynes prepares the cafeteria for lunch and helps to set up daytime events.

While Haynes and the custodial staff work hard to maintain Armijo’s cleanliness, students still can help make their jobs easier. “It would be nice if students would put their trash in the trash cans, stop the writings on the walls, and destroying school property,” said Haynes, “When this things take up most of our time, we spend less time on things that really need to be done.”

Not only is cleanliness a focus of campus beautification, a clean campus also acts as a representation of school pride. “If our school were to be kept up by all of us we would feel better about coming to schoolthere’s nothing like coming to school and see a clean campus,” said Haynes, “It also shows those who visit our campus that we care…we would all feel better about ourselves and what others think about Armijo.

When asked about his favorite moments during the day, Haynes said, “My highlight is spending time with you kids, getting to know you guys, and being able to laugh at things you kids do.”

Haynes grew up in Fairfield and will be married for 44 years in August to his high school sweetheart. Haynes is a father to three and a grandfather to eight. In the community, Haynes stays involved as a pastor of a small Fairfield church. In his free time, Haynes enjoys fishing, camping, gardening, watching movies with his wife, and spending plenty of time with his family.

Haynes encourages Armijo students to seize their education to the fullest and to aim high. “Be real and authentic in everything you do, for if you do, your integrity will speak for you,” said Haynes, “Take life and enjoy every moment, for each day will bring new things.” Haynes also advises students to realize the wealth of new opportunities and to never take things for granted.

It’s clear that Haynes is a crucial member of Armijo’s family. “I came to this school to make an impact on all of you,” said Haynes, “but the truth is that you all have impacted my life, to which I thank all of you.”