A Q&A with Lindsay Urricelqui

Q: Why did you choose to go into softball? Have you set any records? In what event? What is your best personal record?

A: Softball actually wasn’t my first choice. I did gymnastics for eight years before I decided to quit due to expenses. Shortly after my friend’s parent, who was a coach at the time, asked me if I would like to be on the team she was coaching. I have played softbalI for six years now. I haven’t set any records, but if I continue softball I am confident I will.

Q: What other events do you participate in? Why those?

A: I also have participated in several tournaments, but outside of softball I have participated in church-related events because being involved with my church helps me stay in connection with my religion and community, all while being an athlete. It is very important to stay connected because at times being an athlete can detach me from what’s truly important.

Q: Besides softball, what else are you involved with (both at school and outside of school)? What are your hobbies? What do you want to do when you graduate (school plans and career goals)?

A: I am very involved with my church. When I actually have a break from softball I love hanging out with friends and family. When I graduate from high school I plan on attending UC Davis or Sac State. I am uncertain of what I want to do career wise but I do find an interest in interior design.

Q: What advice would you give to someone contemplating on getting involved in sports?

A: I would tell them that you don’t necessarily have to be an amazing athlete or familiar with a sport in order to play. As long as you have a great attitude and room for improvement you’ll be a great addition to any sports team. Playing sports isn’t all about your abilities; attitude plays a large role also. Coaches look at that before you step on a field.

Q: Do you have any brothers or sisters (names and ages)? Who are your role models?

A: I have two brothers. My older brother, Logan, graduated in 2017 and is 18 years old. Layne, my younger brother is a freshman and is 14 years old. My role models are definitely my parents. They made me who I am today and constantly push me to strive for my goals.

Q: If you could change one thing about Armijo (students, facilities, staff, etc.), what would it be and why?

A: If I could change one thing about Armijo it would be the school spirit. With more school spirit, it would push our sports to play at the best of their abilities and it will also help those outside of sports stay more involved.

Q: Anything else you would like to say?

A: I just want to say that being a student athlete at Armijo High School for three years now has shaped me into a better person. I can’t wait to play another year as an Armijo Indian. Go Indians!