“Schools Rock” Puts Students in Rocking Chairs to Earn Funds for School Band, Choir and Performing Arts Programs

Often perceived as ancillary to education, the influence of arts programs on America’s long-term productive potential are well documented. A 2016 National Assessment of American Progress study shows students who took art classes or music lessons inside and/or outside of school generally scored better on tests.

Unfortunately, school budget cuts often start with the arts, leaving schools forced to secure their own sources of funding, often calling on local communities to pitch in to ensure students have access to a full, well-rounded education, which includes the arts.

Solano Town Center is responding to the call and stepping in to help three area high schools with their arts funding. On Saturday, April 14, from 12 pm to 4 pm, Solano Town Center invites the community to visit Express Court and Center Court for “Schools Rock” – a fundraiser supporting the Armijo High, Buckingham Magnet Charter, and Will C Wood high school band, choir and performing arts programs.

“We’re so excited that Solano Town Center is using their space and resources to encourage the arts in our schools. In this case, the greatest benefit will come to students participating in one of the lowest funded sections of our music programs, which are vocal or choir programs. The beauty of vocal music is that nearly anyone can participate and receive many of the same benefits of participating in any artistic endeavor: increased brain function, sharpened social skills, and a way of connecting core subjects to real world activities through performance.” said Tim Goree, executive director of administrative services and community engagement at Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District.

To raise money, students will rock in old-fashioned rocking chairs – technology free! – meaning no mobile phones, tablets or laptops from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. The school that raises the most money will receive an additional $1,000 from Solano Town Center. To keep the student rockers and their supporters occupied while phone-free; local radio host John Young from 95.3/KUIC will emcee while Lori & RJ Music will lead games and entertainment throughout the event.

“Arts are critical for our schools and students, so we’re pleased to host this fundraiser – and to see students put down their phones to help raise money for their artistic passion,” said Nicole Delos Reyes, Solano Town Center’s marketing director. “The community’s participation will help make sure these three high schools have the funds for trips, uniforms and equipment—and that they will continue to enjoy artistic experiences that broaden their educational and creative horizons.”

Schools Rock
Saturday, April 14, 12 pm to 4 pm
Solano Town Center, Express Court and Center Court
Students from Armijo High, Buckingham Magnet Charter, and Will C Wood high schools rock in old-fashioned rocking chairs – technology free! – meaning no mobile phones, tablets or laptops from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 pm. The school that raises the most money will receive an additional $1,000 from Solano Town Center. Performances, games and additional fundraising will also take place.