Jan 2018: Volunteer | Maya Nelson Carries on Skate for Change

Maya Nelson has been carrying on Skate for Change after her brother started the event and graduated. She hopes to see the group continue after she graduates.

Nelson started going to Skate for Change meet-ups during her sophomore year, when the Fairfield chapter was created. She took over this year as chapter head and re-started the program at the beginning of this school year. Skate for Change was originally started in 2012 by Mike Smith in Nebraska, but now there are now chapters all over the US. The organization invites skaters and bikers to share their passion with the sports while they distribute necessary items – socks, mouthwash, soap, etc. – to the area homeless.

You may be wondering how this tradition started at Armijo? Nelson explained. A local chapter was around in 2014 with Armijo members like student Jayson Hefner, Tommy Weisz and others, but it needed to be strengthened. “My sophomore year, my brother and his friends began it at Armijo but it faded out last year when they graduated. I wouldn’t say it’s a tradition yet, but I do genuinely hope it becomes one.”

Even though Nelson’s brother Hunter developed Skate for Change on campus, her choice to continue it was more than just carrying on her brother’s idea. Skate for Change has made a big impact on Hunter; she loves the Skate for Change legacy and made it part of her mission to see it carried out during her senior year. “I’m actually Armijo leadership’s O-Hour Commissioner, which means I help run community service opportunities for the entire leadership class. I’ve worked Skate for Change into the role of that job,” she said.

With great love also comes great fun. It’s mostly just a bunch of kids having fun skating and meeting new people. While the meaning and intention behind it are very serious, it’s a very relaxed and laid back event.

Although Skate for Change is great for our community, it influenced Hunter personally. She said, “It’s influenced me to be more outgoing. Going up to strangers and striking up a conversation can be pretty tough at first. I think a lot of times our homeless community is dehumanized, and that makes me really sad. Living on the streets can be really dangerous, and we have to be really careful about how we approach people so they know we aren’t there to hurt them. I think most meet-ups I’ve ever been on I’ve had someone say they we’re worried about being jumped. Most of them are good people who just had a struggle in life and it’s influenced me to keep a kind heart with me at all times.”

“I’m not the only one who deserves credit for Skate for Change…Bella Mayer has also been a core part of meet-ups this year, donating supplies and helping me run our group. Currently, most of our group actually comes from the amazing multimedia program.”

If you want to get involved in Skate for Change, they always need more supplies. Skate for Change has recently been a monthly meet-up, but Hunter’s looking to start doing it more frequently. Skate for Change has an Instagram account, fairfieldsfc, and Hunter responds to DMs. She tries to keep the meet-ups between 5-10 people, and they normally average around that already, but if you’re interested in coming out to one, DM the Instagram account, or message Nelson on email at [email protected]. If you’re not into skating/biking/etc., they are always looking for donations of: thick, quality socks (usually plain white or plain black), breakfast bars (soft), waters, mouthwash, new or gently used coats, wet wipes, and ETC hygiene products. Hunter encourages all students, teachers, staff, or members of the community to donate and help the homeless feel safer!